Larry is a corporate and commercial lawyer who also has significant dispute resolution and litigation management experience. He qualified as a barrister in 1976 and subsequently as a solicitor in 1999. After experience as a military lawyer and prosecutor in the RAF, Larry spent a significant part of his 30 plus year career as a legal advisor in the energy and natural resources area. He worked in house, principally at BP and moved to Moscow in 1996 to work in private practice in the natural resources field. He returned after six years as a Russian speaker and a partner with Lovells heading the firm’s Russia and CIS energy and natural resources practice, prior to setting up his own legal consultancy.
His experience includes dispute resolution and litigation management in a variety of areas including in oil trading, finance, intellectual property and reputation management both in a domestic and international arena and including group litigation.
As General Counsel to commodities trader Trafigura from 2007 to 2011, Larry gained unique experience in the management of the litigation related to the Probo Koala affair in Ivory Coast involving multi-party actions and multi-million dollar claims and criminal and other proceedings in Abidjan, London, Amsterdam, Paris, Houston and Oslo. This included arbitration and litigation and the management of the defence of the largest English group action to date. Larry also handled much of the media management related to the legal proceedings arising from the Ivory Coast claims and proceedings.
Larry is a Solicitor Advocate (Higher Courts, All Proceedings).
He is also is a CEDR accredited Mediator with a developing mediation practice.
- Middle Temple (Qualified Barrister - currently non-practising)
- Law Society (Qualified Solicitor - currently practising with Rights of Audience, (Higher Courts, All Proceedings))
- AIPN – Association of International Petroleum Negotiators
- CEDR – Centre for Effective Dispute Resolution (CEDR Exchange Member)
- CMC – Civil Mediation Council
- IOD - Institute of Directors
- BRLA – British Russian Law Association
- ARLA - Anglo Russian Law Association
- BKLA – British-Kazakh Law Association