Commercial Litigation and Arbitration
We handle a wide variety of complex, high-value claims including breach of contract, shareholder and partnership disputes, professional negligence, breach of confidence and intellectual property disputes.
We have a long track record in every division of the High Court (including the Commercial Court), Court of Appeal and the Supreme Court, as well as the European Court of Justice. We also regularly conduct commercial arbitrations before tribunals such as the LCIA. The international nature of our practice means that we are, in addition, frequently called on to advise on and coordinate litigation in courts overseas.
Clients need to be confident that their case is getting the level of personal care and supervision that they are entitled to expect. For this reason, our cases are conducted by small, partner-led teams. Our partners take full control of each case, involving themselves in every step of its progress and maintaining regular contact with the client.
We understand that different disputes and clients require different approaches and solutions. We also understand that many commercial disputes are sensitive and likely to attract media attention; our prowess in the field of reputation management means that we have unrivalled experience of dealing with the media and working with our clients’ PR and Communications advisers.
Notable case highlights include:
- Acting for a leading FTSE 100 company in a major Commercial Court dispute arising out of a £300m local government outsourcing contract.
- Representing a company in liquidation in a professional negligence claim against the company’s former City solicitors, resulting in a settlement of £10m in damages plus costs.
- Acting in a cross-border contractual dispute against a UK-based PLC, leading to a multi-million pound settlement for the firm’s client.
- Representing a businessman with interests in a group of companies in the energy sector, defending claims of breach of alleged fiduciary duty, fraudulent misappropriation, misrepresentation and breach of contract. The case against our client was dismissed, with costs, following a High Court trial.
- Acting in high-value claims relating to complex interest rate and foreign exchange hedging products totalling over £1 billion.