Hashem acts for both claimants and defendants across Carter-Ruck’s core practice areas, International law, Media and Commercial Disputes.
Hashem is frequently instructed on matters with a Middle Eastern aspect where he deploys his deep understanding of the region and native Arabic language skills.
Hashem’s sanctions practice is focused on restrictive measures imposed by the United Nations, the Council of the European Union, and other bodies.
Hashem obtained his BSc at King’s College London and completed his Senior Status LLB at SOAS, University of London, where he graduated at the top of his cohort. Hashem is a member of the Young International Council for Commercial Arbitration.
- Hashem has recently represented a well-known former public official in their successful libel complaint concerning false allegations published nationally and internationally.
- Hashem’s work includes disputes under the rules of several arbitral institutions including ICSID, UNCITRAL, LCIA and ICC.
- He is a member of the legal team representing Al Jazeera Media Network in its arbitration claim against the Arab Republic of Egypt pursuant to the 1999 Egypt-Qatar Bilateral Investment Treaty.
- In the last year Hashem worked in the successful defence of two ICC arbitrations brought against the armed forces of a State and for a large Middle Eastern bank in an LCIA arbitration, which resulted in an award of over USD 25m.
- Hashem’s recent work includes assisting in making submissions to a UN Security Council Committee which has wrongly accused a prominent individual of breaching the Libyan sanctions regime.