Lawrence acts for both claimants and defendants across Carter-Ruck’s core practice areas, international law, media and commercial disputes. He advises domestic and international clients on international commercial arbitration, investment arbitration and litigation before the courts of England and a variety of other jurisdictions.
His practice focuses on international litigation and arbitration matters, including ICSID, LCIA, ICC, UNCITRAL and other investment-treaty and commercial arbitration. Lawrence also has experience of managing overseas litigation on behalf of clients.
Lawrence also has considerable experience advising clients on issues with an international law dimension, including complaints under the OECD Guidelines for Multinational Enterprises and advising on television broadcast licensing and regulatory arrangements in the EU and EEA post-Brexit.
As a Russian speaker, Lawrence frequently advises on matters with a Russia/CIS dimension.
Lawrence has advised on commercial litigation cases in the English Courts and has considerable experience of advising on media and defamation matters.
Lawrence graduated with a First in Modern and Medieval Languages (Russian and German) from Cambridge University. He spent a semester teaching English at the St Petersburg Classical High School and a semester as a student at Novosibirsk State University in Russia.
- Lawrence is highlighted as a key lawyer for International Arbitration in Legal 500 2022 whose sources report that he is a ‘very capable lawyer and easy to work with’
- Lawrence is highlighted as a ‘key lawyer’ for Public International Law in the Legal 500, 2020.
- European Investment Law and Arbitration Review – Micula v Romania: a saga of lasting significance (publication date December 2021)
- Lawrence is part of the team representing Al Jazeera in its dispute with Egypt under the 1999 Qatar-Egypt Bilateral Investment Treaty before the International Centre for Settlement of Investment Disputes.
- Lawrence is representing the Armed Forces of a State in two ICC arbitrations and parallel Court proceedings in the English High Court and United States District Court for the District of Southern California
- Advising Swiss and Luxembourg entities as interested parties in relation to an LCIA arbitration valued at over USD 50m
- Advising on a potential claim under the OIC Investment Agreement, on behalf of a group of over 100 individual Claimants
- Representing a State as one of the Respondents to a substantial LCIA Arbitration relating to an alleged professional services agreement.
- Acting for a major Middle Eastern bank in an LCIA arbitration relating to a and guarantee, resulting in an Award of over USD 25 million.
- Securing libel damages of over £150,000 from the Daily Mail on behalf of a British Muslim family, without the need to issue proceedings.