Financial Services & Banking Disputes
Carter-Ruck has successfully represented many clients in high-value claims against financial institutions, particularly international and UK banks.
Legal directory Chambers has recognised us for our expertise in “high-profile banking disputes” and that we are “well versed in issues arising across financial products and derivatives, as well as related fraud matters”
Legal 500 has noted our “genuine expertise in banking issues” and says we are “experienced in derivatives, interest rate hedging products and foreign exchange products”
We do not act for any of the major retail banks and so, unlike most City firms, we are not conflicted from acting against them.
In addition to large and complex claims relating to various derivatives, including interest rate and foreign exchange (FX) hedging products, Carter-Ruck has been at the forefront of efforts to help businesses recover losses from banks from interest rate hedging products (IRHPs) such as swaps, collars and structured collars.
- A large multinational on claims against two international banks in relation to FX transactions where the losses suffered by the client were in excess of £100 million
- An ultra-high net worth individual on a complaint about investment and borrowing advice from the private wealth division of a leading bank
- A firm of solicitors in a substantial claim against Barclays relating to fraud by an unrelated third party. The claim was successful, with Barclays agreeing to repay the entirety of the amount claimed and legal costs.
- Various high-net worth individuals in claims against Coutts involving AIG premier enhanced fund bonds, securing substantial settlements in each instance.
- Representing a property developer who had been sold 13 complex long term interest rate hedging products.
24/7 Partner-led Crisis Response
We have a 24-hour, 365 days of the year crisis management response team – one of our specialist partners is always available to respond to urgent crises at any time.