Persephone specialises in media and reputation management work, encompassing defamation, privacy and harassment, together with data protection and intellectual property litigation.
She advises on reputation management matters for celebrity, high-profile and ultra and high net worth individuals, including misuse of private information and harassment. Increasingly this work involves social media and online harms.
Persephone also works on both pre-publication and post-publication matters against a variety of news publishers in a wide variety of divergent subject areas including entertainment, politics, healthcare, and anti-terrorism.
She has experience of “Right to be Forgotten” cases concerning the removal of information online, and the Data Protection Act 2018 and UK GDPR and the interplay between these and general reputation management matters.
Persephone’s litigation experience has also included breach of confidence and trade secrets disputes, including cases involving aspects of corporate fraud.
- Prince Harry v Mirror Newspaper Group – Sky News (special programme): Persephone discussed the case in a week-long analysis alongside the former editor of the Daily Mirror Paul Connew
- NewsNation (USA) – Insight into Prince Harry’s ongoing claim against Mirror Group Newspapers for unlawful information gathering
- The Guardian Insight on the potential legal issues that need to be considered by social media users who build their following through so-called feelgood videos involving unaware and unwilling members of the public
- Legal 500 2024 reports ‘Persephone is truly special and treats each client as if they are the most important person in the world’. Their sources praise [Persephone’s] knowledge, approach and client manner are fundamental reasons as to why clients feel so at ease and understood’
- Chambers 2023 report ‘[Persephone] is a complete powerhouse….incredibly commercial in her approach and able to find solutions but also turn up the heat when needed’ and ‘she has an excellent grasp of all of the nuances of potential strategies, which allows for great decision making.’ They also praise her ‘wealth of experience in this area of the law’
- Legal 500 2023 sources report Persephone is an ‘excellent lawyer and extremely supportive adviser to clients, during periods when a client is most in need of wise counsel…seeking innovative solutions to problems, and support clients at every stage. Quite simply – a hero in her field.’
- 2023 Spear’s Reputation Management Index Persephone is recommended as a ‘Top Recommended’ Reputation & Privacy Lawyer
- 2022 Spear’s Awards – Shortlisted for Reputation Management Lawyer of the Year
- Chambers 2022 sources report that Persephone ‘calms down a difficult situation” and is “seriously good at crossing the t’s and dotting the i’s, making sure everything is thought of’
- Legal 500 2022 report Persephone is ‘Outstanding and part of a formidable team’
- Spears Wealth Insight 2021 – panel member ‘Modern families – and the future of HNW divorce’
- Chambers 2021 report “she is superb… ‘She’s just excellent in this field”…”highly professional and very client-focused’
- Spears Reputation Management 2021 – Recommended lawyer in the Best Reputation Lawyers list
- Chambers 2020 legal directory reports ‘Persephone Bridgman Baker is an “impressive” litigator recommended for her work for claimants and defendants in defamation, misuse of private information and harassment cases’
- She is highlighted as a Rising Star in Spears Wealth Reputation Management 2018 and 2019
Persephone regularly provides expert commentary for publications and news programmes
- BBC Radio 4 The Media Show: discussing the recent introduction of cameras into the criminal courts and the ramifications of the current permitted broadcasting of sentencing remarks (August 2022)
- The Guardian: Why did the Depp-Heard libel outcomes differ in the US and UK? Strategic insight (June 2022)
- The Guardian: providing an analysis on The Mail on Sunday’s failed appeal to the Court of Appeal over its publication of a personal letter written by the Duchess of Sussex to her father and setting out out the principles of Privacy Law and the key points that would have been considered in the upheld Ruling (December 2021)
- The Guardian: Judgment time: admission and apology up the ante in Meghan privacy case (November 2021)
- BBC Radio 4 The Media Show: Insight on the Johnny Depp libel ruling (November 2020)
- The Times: Persephone and Nigel provide their legal perspective following the Mumsnet case ordering the popular forum to disclose personal details of an anonymous user who posted allegedly defamatory content about transgender activist Stephanie Hayden (May 2019)
- The Law Society Gazette: Lawyer in the News feature following the firm’s representation of the Labour MP and Shadow Justice Secretary Richard Burgon in his successful libel case against the Sun (February 2019)
- BBC News: Interview with BBC journalist Huw Edwards providing her legal analysis on the the Cliff Richards privacy case and subsequent judgment
- Legal Week: Following a series of various high profile scandals, where NDAs have received negative press, Persephone shares her thoughts with Legal Week on why we must not allow cases like Weinstein and Green to create an atmosphere in which the existence of an NDA implies evidence of guilt
- LawInSport: Is Press Coverage Protected By Parliamentary Privilege? Persephone surveys the law following the issue raised by Sir Bradley Wiggins when he responded to what he called ‘malicious’ allegations (March 2018)
- PR Week: Persephone explains copyright law relating to advertising in PR Week
- Inforrm’s Blog: Case commentary on the libel claim case of Serafin v. Malkiewicz (December 2017)